Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week One: Holy Moments


As a Christian, a lot of my holy moments are cliché. The day I asked Jesus into my heart, my baptism, my confirmation. But then there are those moments where I rose to new levels in my relationship with the Lord, the biggest and freshest in my mind are within the last 15 months; right before coming to college, winter break 2009-2010, and during/after my summer internship with Generations of Virtue ministries. Then there are those moments when I’ve just looked around and the only word I could use to describe what I was seeing, feeling thinking has been “God”; on top of a mountain in Washington, watching a sunrise (on the ocean, on a run), looking up into the stars on a clear night, or even simply watching the shadows of light, the drizzling rain, the drifting snow. It’s learning to play guitar, and rekindling my passion for the warm rich sounds of the violin. They are group prayers when I’ve felt the connection between people so strongly I didn’t know how to ever go without it, memorizing a new verse, having an old favorite verse come to life in a new way. In a way, I believe each moment in my life has been holy, with the Lord’s hand upon every step.

We're supposed to think of any kind of object that represents our ideas of holy days. My object, I think, is going to have to be this video:

I love the lyrics, but I also love the story behind the song. It’s about Chris August rededicating his life to Christ, a really exciting, emotional, and powerful moment in someone’s life. I also enjoy all the nature references, because to me, all you have to do to see God is step outside and look at what He’s made.

Lord,

A prayer is nothing but the many ways You use to reach me, and I to reach You. Through Your Son dying on the cross, we can have this supreme intimate relationship. My observing Your world, and living for You in the midst of it, is a continuous song of praise. You’ve blessed me so dearly, and so completely. Your love is all I need. You have my heart, You not only have my life, but are it. You are everything good and true and real to me, the only thing that never changes. You amaze me, God.

Psalm 63:

God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water. So I gaze on You in the sanctuary to see Your strength and glory. My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life. So I will praise You as long as I live; at Your name, I will lift up my hands. You satisfy me as with rich food; my mouth will praise You with joyful lips. When, on my bed, I think of You, I meditate on You during the night watches because You are my help; I will rejoice in the shadow of Your wings. I follow close to You; Your right hand holds on to me. But those who seek to destroy my life will go into the depths of the earth. They will be given over to the power of the sword; they will become the jackals’ prey. But the king will rejoice in God; all who swear by Him will boast, for the mouths of liars will be shut.

In Jesus’ Name Amen.

But anyone joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 1 Corinthians 6:17

No comments:

Post a Comment