Monday, August 20, 2012

Perfect Celebration

I honestly have had an incredible birthday celebration, that it's as close to perfect as anything could be.

On Friday, even though I had to work, I had a great morning with Nico and Felishia, beginning with prayer and Bible study over coffee cake (with actual coffee in the cake!). All day, I heard from friends wishing me well, and felt very blessed by them all.

About a year and a half ago, Betsy and I were the featured entertainment at a track meet in Iowa, as we argued over whether or not she was taking me out for my 21st. It ended in a deal: if we happened to be in the same city, she could take me out. Of course, I never expected us to be in the same city on my birthday. Lo and behold, we were, and she won. I went over to the cross country townhouse after work, and was surprised with a cake, and many voices singing happy birthday. We hung out awhile before heading to the Bop downtown Beloit for one birthday drink. Most of the people were under 21, and even the ones who were of age were tired and had to work the next day (as did I!) so it ended up just being Betsy, Jason, and I. I've known Jason since high school, and he's basically my brother, and Betsy is Betsy, so it was actually perfect to have it just be the 3 of us. We were the only ones at the Bop too...it wasn't even that late - 10:30 on a Friday night. It was really enjoyable and I'm glad it all worked out.

On Saturday, we had Gabby's friend birthday party, and I made the cookie cake. It tasted professional; I was very surprised at how well it turned out. The Johnsons took me out for dinner, and gave me a few gifts (a journal, Kathryn's favorite vanilla, and a Penzey's starter spice box!). I teared up reading their cards; they really blessed me.

Then on Sunday, I got to see some people I hadn't seen in awhile. One of the notoriously shy guys from InterVarsity, Dillon, saw me at church and he initiated a hug, and had to actually move his feet towards me to do so! His close friends believe that may be the first time that's ever happened to anyone. I felt special indeed. And Daniel was back too. We both got big haircuts, and barely recognized one another. I actually ended up going back to campus after an amazing church service and lunch, to meet him for dinner after his 3rd football practice of the day. It was great talking with him again.

Overall, a great birthday weekend. I didn't write any blog posts or do much of anything, though, so today is a big writing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment