Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Seriously?

There are two boutiques within equal distance to my house - one to the left, one to the right. Boutiques are like little corner stores where you can buy basic daily goods, and they are everywhere! I am totally going to miss them in the US. Anyway, I generally go to the one on the left because I like the man who works there, and it's more familiar because that's the one my mom sent me to in the beginning. I see the same people there daily, and it's enjoyable. Sometimes at night I go to the one on the right to buy a phone card, cafe Touba, or gas with one of my sisters. About two weeks ok, two of my sisters were laughing when I walked in the door. Zeina explained that the boutiquer said he was in love with me. Awesome.

My family was kind enough not to send me on errands that required a stop to his boutique, and then I went on vacation and forgot about it.

Until last night, when I came home later than usually. Zeina said, "Um Kate, I have a little problem" I said, "What?"; I was very concerned. She said, "That boutiquer, he came here to ask me for your number"

Who does that? What makes someone think "wow I want to know that American so I'm going to go to her host family's house and ask them for her phone number"?! I barely even believe this is happening right now.

Staff at the Baobab Center have explained to us that men here think women don't know what they want and that they will eventually say yes if you keep asking. It can be incredibly aggravating, being constantly asked for your number, or worse, your hand in marriage. My host mom even warned me against the Senegalese men, saying there was maybe half of a good one out of every ten. Being back in Dakar after the village has multiplied my annoyance with these daily interactions, as it didn't happen there. People didn't bother us and were just friendly.

However, I am fortunate to know a group of really awesome young men who help me maintain my faith that not everyone is awful. And my family rocks.

I told Zei to tell the boutiquer I was already married. She made sure I had a ring (I wear a purity ring on my left ring finger, so it's all good). We'll see if that's good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment