Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Les Eglises Vivant (Lively Churches)

Today, I went into the Partners International office to work on some more translations and summaries. It is truly fascinating to read these field reports in their original states. When we receive updates in the US, we don't know what we're really getting - was it a translator; whose words are these? I really enjoy getting to read the direct words of the people serving and being served in some of the most desperate places.

The organization I wrote for today (Evangelism Without Borders...Evangelisme Sans Frontiere in French) is based in Niger, but also has partners in Nigeria. They saw the construction of a new church, success in a women's micro-financing project, animal husbandry work, job placement, church leadership seminars, and 22 new Christians. I was very struck by the way they framed their goal, "We aim to plant lively local churches that will plant other lively churches that will reach the people who need it most. We want to see our community transformed by the radical love of Jesus and to mobilize the church in improving the quality of life by providing means for self-provision like animal husbandry and micro credit. We are humble servants of the Lord".

When I sat down at my desk, I was excited beyond means. This was confirmation of the gratitude for the blessing I've received to be able to serve in this way. As I worked, I teared up. This was confirmation of God at work - in this nation, in this world, and in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment