Saturday, July 9, 2016

Beginner's Mindset

(Written 7/5 in my journal)

Today, Tina and I went to her first yoga class. She told me on the way in that seven months ago, when she mentioned to her therapist that she wanted to start yoga, her therapist was all on board. Better late than never.

We chose a studio near her house with a wide range of classes, times, heat levels, and a solid intro special. I'm glad we got to do this together, and it turns our one of her friends was also there and will be a good buddy once I'm gone.

For Christina, the class was difficult but not unreasonable. For me, it was really easy and I added in as I went. But it was also an opportunity to remember what it was like to experience the practice for the first time, to find something new in the familiar. I found myself paying more attention - my fingers connecting in a bind, the knife edge of my foot pressing into the mat.

It's fun to keep pushing forward into new discoveries, but this too has value: going back, back to the beginning.

Quotes from the novel, The Yoga of Max's Discontent  by Karan Baja

Man's soul cries for the infinite in a finite world

Anything which makes you forget your small self and become one with the infinite is yoga 

No comments:

Post a Comment