Sunday, April 10, 2016

Trophies Laid Down

Earlier this week, my coworker and I had a alk with our level 2 kids, who are completely scores obsessed. In Washington, they award only all-around and team, so the individual event scores really don't matter. They are so often caught up in waiting for scores to appear on the screen, that they neglect a competing teammate and then talk over their routine. Frankly, it's just annoying and can even be rude.

We told them where all our trophies and medals are today: goodwill, given away, in a box in our parents' basement. We told them they will have a lot of meets and a lot of scores in their lives, but that's not what you look back on. You remember the workouts that seemed impossible until you pushed through and did it. You remember whta it felt like to get a skill you struggled so hard with that you cried about it after practice. You remember the encouraging words of your teammates who always had your back, and you remember the moments your coaches said they were proud.

I was still thinking about this when I was at the gym cleaning party yesterday morning. I was sorting through team trophies for only the most current ones to remain on display. I thought of my old gym and the trophies on the stairwell and in storage closests. I went to the Pacific Rims gymnastics rhythmic competition and had the surprise opportunity to sit with and talk to one of my all-time favorite gymnasts, Nastia Liukin. She was a stunningly beautiful gymnast who overcame a lot of difficulty in the sport, and eventually won the coveted Olympic All-Around gold, but that's not what makes her so impressive to me. She's about to graduate from NYU. She's written a book. She travels as a speaker, encouraging girls of all ages to be themselves and pursue their passions. You can achieve a lot of things, but a closet full of trophies won't give you your joy.

Solomon learned this:

I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test yo uwith pleasure; enjoy yourself." But behold, this also was vanity. I said of laughter, "It is mad" and of pleasure, "What use is it?" I searched with my heart how to cheer my body with wine - my heart still guiding me with wisdom - and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the children of man to do under heaven during the few days of their life. I made great works. I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I made myself pools from which to water the forest of growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were born in my house. I had also great possessions of herd s and flocks, more than any who had been before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kinds and provinces. I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, the delight of the sons of man. So i became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept from my heart no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands have done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 

You can build an entire empire for yourself, but what will it come to? What will actually give life and joy?

I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; als that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in ll his toil - this is God's gift to man. I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him. That which is, already has been; that which is to be, already has been; and God seeks what has been driven away. Ecclesiastes 3:12-15

God has so much more for us than the pries of this world. Its hard sometimes not to get caught up, but I take a lot of joy in knowing the Holy Spirit gives grace to recognize that Jesus is revealing Himself in the friendship, in service, in struggle, in laughter and in freedom.

I love the hymn, The Old Rugged Cross, because it talks about laying our trophies down because Jesus is our ultimate forever prize. 

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross 
Till my trophies at last I lay down; 
I will cling to the old rugged cross
And exchange it someday for a crown 

Jesus is the One who makes us worthy and gives us victory. We are crowned in His glory and grace, not by what we've done, but by who He is. This is the big picture for all competitors to remember. What God does is forever.

For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord! Psalm 117:2 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment