Monday, August 17, 2015

Beautiful things

Hi. 

I am 24 years old today. 24 has come in simply but surely. Secure. Calm. 

I went to 6am yoga and the instructor knew it was my birthday so he helped me celebrate. I worked and all my coworkers and the kids helped too (with plenty of tutus and birthday treats and cards and singing of course). My church family lit candles and sang to me, and Zoe gave me a hilarious card and a necklace she'd made. Being at group tonight reminded me how dearly known and loved I am by Jesus and His people. 

But it was noon yoga that really got me today. I rarely go to Monday noon class or practice with this instructor, Devyn, but I wanted to go today. We were using straps to work into king dancer, a balancing back bending pose done on one leg while you reach for the other foot and pull it to your head. I have never had this pose, not really. I had a scorpion as a cheerleader, but just barely, and only when I was wearing my cheer shoes. But today, Devyn saw my first side and as she guided the second side, she came over and told me to drop the strap "I'm going to try to get you in the real one" I think I chuckled nervously and shook my head, not believing it could happen. But she brought me through a standing mermaid variation, and sure enough, I grabbed my foot over my head. I don't think I have words for that moment, honestly. I don't think she really knows the gift she gave me. I just got king pigeon a few weeks ago, and she said usually it takes about a year to go from king pigeon to king dancer, but she saw me and she knew I could do it. This is what I wrote afterwards - 

Laying in savasana, I had a really freeing realization: I may have done things a long time ago and since lost them, but it doesn't mean I have to stop discovering and trying new things. Packing athletically at 16 or 17, it does something crazy to you. It gets in your head. It makes you believe that you've already become all that you'll ever be, and it's all downhill from there. But yesterday, with the press handstand and today, with King dancer, have me believing a new story, one that is still unfolding. God knew this day would come for me, and He's the one who knows what's coming next. And He is the one making all things new, and making beautiful things out of me. 

Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them. Psalm 139:16 

And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new" Revelation 21:5 

I'm on my phone and adding videos is tough, but now would be an appropriate time to listen to Beautiful Things by Gungor 


1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday Kate... Hope in this year, May all your dreams and wishes come true... you walk in God's calling and be more and more loving Him. you also be succeed in your life and work.. Wish u all the best :)

    ReplyDelete