Monday, July 7, 2014

Potty Training and Prayer Requests

I am so blessed to serve at Anchor Church. When I went through leadership training with InterVarsity, one of the things I was taught was that if you need to be serving more than your church needs you, you're in the right place. What's meant is that when you go where God calls you, it's sanctifying for you to be used for His glory. I feel grace being lavished over me every single time.

One thing that's so life-giving is when all the service team members get together about a half hour before service to pray for each other. We pray for the sermon and for the music and the church and our guests, but we also pray for the high school friend with breast cancer and the parent who had a stroke and we praise Jesus for new homes. Sunday, when the pastor-dad asked if there were any prayer requests, this is how it went down

His son, Asa, age two: My prayer request is for potty training; can you pray for me?
Pastor-Dad: Yup, sure thing. We can and we will.

I was so encouraged by this. Asa's request showed amazing, simple faith. He believed that prayer has value, and that God is really his help in all things. Think about this realityA a God big enough to hold the world in His hands and personal enough to help a two year old out of diapers and onto the toilet.

And that response. We can and we will. What a practical example of teaching kids to have faith. I think that we forget that when we take kids seriously, it helps them take God seriously.

Like I said, this is a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment