Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Roommate spotlight: episode 2

Tonight, I'm featuring Emily. She is my current favorite roommate. 

This morning, I made the garlic cheddar biscuits they serve at red lobster only mine are more garlic-y, cheesier, and less salty. Oh and softer. So what now, red lobster? 


Anyway. 

Earlier today, Emily and I were enjoying said biscuits. She basically died over them. Tonight, when she got home from class, she stood in the doorway of my room and peered in, looking like someone about to ask for something she really wants but isn't sure she will get. 

"Um, Kate?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think I could maybe have another biscuit?" 

Ahahahaha 

She giggled as she ate it, asking, "what do you put in these things?" 

If you must know, for a single batch, approximately (I didn't actually measure any of this, so I'm guessing):

2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
At least a teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 cup or so of butter (chunked. Cut it in to the dry non-cheese ingredients. 
1/2 cup whole milk
A HEAPING cup of sharp cheddar cheese 

And then brush with this topping right when you pull them from the oven:
3-4 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Finely chopped fresh parsley

Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes. 

I kind of suck at writing recipes, I'm sorry. One time Kathryn asked me for a recipe for mango salsa and I wrote down a list of ingredients. No measurements, no instructions. I forget that not everyone had a signature recipe by the time she was 8 or grew up making porch fulls of cookies and candies or thinks reading recipe books is fun. 

If you think about it, I could have a really cool cookbook concept: DIY recipes. I give a title of the food, a picture of the finished product, a list of the ingredients and maybe an oven temperature, and you figure the rest out yourself. I'd buy it. Any takers? 




1 comment:

  1. Uh, those look amazing! We could totally write that cookbook, call it "Wing It; recipes for the culinary inclined".

    ReplyDelete