Thursday, July 5, 2012

True Love

A couple points from the last day or so...

I love my sister more than she knows. I worry like crazy about her, and often wish she were making different choices, but ultimately I know it's not my opinion that counts. We took a bunch of pictures together, and these are two of my favorites:



"Half hearts", as we like to say, have been one of our "things" for a long time now. It's a symbol of our trust for and reliance on one another. I've got your back, you've got mine. We bring out the best in each other. And I just really love this girl. 

One of the few people from my high school that I still talk to paid me a surprise visit today. He's one of those overall great guys. He works hard, plays hard, and will do anything for the people he cares about. Compassion in action. He's like the older brother I never had, even if he is only 9 months older. Jason has those protective instincts. He said that any guy interested in me will have to be screened by him, and they of course have to be smaller than he is because otherwise he won't be able to beat them up. He told Jessica the same thing. Great friend.

And on a slightly different note, I substituted for an open gym this morning. I just had to supervise and make sure there wasn't anything too dangerous going on. A mother brought her two children, a boy around 3 years old and a 7 year old girl (and a sleeping 6 week old!) Near the end, the boy, Luke, got fussy and crabby and hit and kicked his older sister, Olivia. Mom called him over to her to talk to him about why hitting is not ok. Even as she sat there, lovingly disciplining him, he punched her feet. She settled him down, and pulled him into her arms. He was still whiny and fussy, but she said, "Luke, I love you, and I want what's best for you. I want you to be kind and gentle towards your sister" 

There was something so touching about that for me. He clearly wanted to reject whatever his mom was going to say. He wanted to go on hitting his sister. But when she took the initiative to call him over and show that she had his best interest in mind, he had a complete change of heart. After she spoke to him, he crawled into her lap and sat as though he were a precious 3 year old angel mama's boy. 

That's not a perfect illustration of us and God, but it's not the worst one either.

And that is true love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment