Thursday, January 12, 2012

Suma Xarit (My friend)

In case you're wondering how to pronounce that second word, in Wolof, you pronounce the X kind of like h, but a little more throaty.

Anyway, last night on the way home from school, I met someone who looked about my age. it's customary to greet everyone, and since he realized I spoke French pretty well, he asked if I had time to talk a moment more. When I said "mangi dem" (I'm leaving), we said goodbye and he said that I was his friend and that I should remember him next time, because he would certainly remember his American friend Kate.

Again, this morning, I decided to take a walk to a new neighborhood (I brought a map!) and someone invited me to sit down and have coffee with him. I sat and talked for maybe 20 minutes. Then, as I was almost to school (I was still early), someone selling fruit with a friend (or brother, I'm not sure) and he called me his friend, and he even helped me learn something in Wolof.

It is so easy to make friends here, and even if you don't know someone yet, you may someday. There are separate words for I don't know and I don't know yet, and the distinction is more important here than in the US.

Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:

If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?

Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Eccl 4:9-12

No comments:

Post a Comment