Sunday, November 20, 2011

We Are Barabbas

Imagine it. You're a lying, cheating, thief who's been caught one too many times. You sit in prison, awaiting your penalty. This time, it's death by crucifixion. But then, the guards come in and tell you that you're free to go. Some guy you've never met who really hasn't done anything wrong is going to be taking your place; you are released.

That's exactly where our friend Barabbas found himself on that fateful day. Pilate had given the choice over to the crowds: release Jesus the Christ, or Barabbas. The people cried out for Barabbas to be released, and just like that, he was granted his freedom.

I want to say I can't imagine what that would feel like, but the moment that I understood grace, I knew. I knew what it was like to be bound in my chains, completely centered on my self, enslaved to my pride. I was there. But when I truly, one hundred percent came to know the Jesus took my place. He went to the cross when it should've been me. Barabbas knew that. I wonder if he looked up at that cross thinking, "That's supposed to be me". Relief, gratitude, unbelief, sadness, wonder, awe. I bet he felt all of those things and much more. I know I do when I gaze upon the cross.

When we look to the cross, we have to see it for all of its is. All of the pain and all of the joy. If we forget the sadness, we lose the sacrifice. What is love if it costs nothing? No, it was the highest price ever paid. And if we forget the be joyful, we lose the knowledge and confidence that we are free forver.

Click here to listen to an awesome song. (Side note: I'm not actually on myspace, it's just the only place I could find the whole cut)


The governor answered and said to them, “Which of the two do you want me to release to you?” They said, “Barabbas!” Pilate said to them, “What then shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” They all said to him, “Let Him be crucified!” Then the governor said, “Why, what evil has He done?” But they cried out all the more, saying, “Let Him be crucified!” When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it.” And all the people answered and said, “His blood be on us and on our children.” Then he released Barabbas to them; and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified.
Matthew 27:21-26

But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7

2 comments: